1) Call for Nominations for the C. Allin Cornell Award
The C. Allin Cornell Award Selection Committee is soliciting nominations of outstanding candidates for this Award, to be given at the upcoming ICASP14 Conference in Dublin, Ireland, July 9 – 13, 2023.
Starting in 1987, once every four years at each International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP), the international Civil Engineering Risk and Reliability Association (CERRA) has recognized an individual for contributions made to the development of risk and reliability methods in civil engineering through the "CERRA Award." In 2009, the Board of Directors of CERRA unanimously voted to rename the CERRA Award to the "C. Allin Cornell Award" in recognition of the seminal contributions of late Professor C. Allin Cornell (1938-2007) of Stanford University to the field of risk and reliability analysis. The Award recognizes the selected person's outstanding contributions to the science and/or application of risk and reliability theory relevant to civil engineering.
Past recipients of the CERRA Award and the C. Allin Cornell Award, along with the location of the Conference where the award was made, are as follows:
- C. Allin Cornell, Vancouver, Canada (1987)
- Rudiger Rackwitz, Mexico City, Mexico (1991)
- Ove Ditlevsen, Paris, France (1995)
- Armen Der Kiureghian, Sydney, Australia (1999)
- Michael Hasofer and Niels Lind (lifetime achievement award), Sydney, Australia (1999)
- Yi-Kwei Wen, San Francisco, CA, USA (2003)
- Hiroyuki Kameda, Tokyo, Japan (2007)
- Ton Vrouwenvelder, Zurich, Switzerland (2011)
- Gordon Fenton, Vancouver, Canada (2015)
- Bruce Ellingwood (lifetime achievement award), Vancouver, Canada (2015)
- Michael Faber, Seoul, South Korea (2019)
Award Nomination Rules
An award nomination shall consist of a nomination letter (limited to one page in length) and up to two letters of endorsement (each limited to one page in length). Curriculum vitae or other documentation will not be considered. The nominee’s doctoral advisor is ineligible to submit or endorse a nomination; nor will self-nominations be considered.
The Committee for 2023 consists of former award recipients:
- Armen Der Kiureghian (American University of Armenia): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bruce Ellingwood, Colorado State University, USA): Bruce.Ellingwood@colostate.edu
- Michael Faber (Aalborg University): email@example.com
- Ton Vrouwenvelder (TNO Delft): firstname.lastname@example.org
The entire nomination package should be submitted in a single PDF file to the Chair of the Award Committee, Michael Faber (email@example.com), by May 26th, 2023. The Committee will review the nominations and make a final selection in early June.
2) Guidelines for CERRA Student Recognition Awards
Starting with ICASP11 in 2011, CERRA also introduced the "CERRA Student Recognition Award". The award is given in recognition of scientific contributions and personal merits of student researchers. This award may, besides a certificate, include a trophy and conference gala dinner ticket.
Requirements & Deadlines
The lead student author of an accepted paper is eligible to compete for a 2023 CERRA Student Recognition Award. Please see below for the details of the competition.
- Email the Competition Committee Chair, Prof. Vikram Pakrashi (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 28, 2023 to express your interest in participating in the competition and attending the ICASP14 conference in person. The Chair will reply to your email for a confirmation.
- Submit the URL of a 15-minute online video clip (e.g. YouTube) to the Competition Committee Chair by May 12, 2023. The maximum duration of the video clip is 15 minutes.
- The video clip must be a slide show with your narration (no exceptions). If you use Powerpoint (recommended), the instructions at https://goo.gl/YrtQ7Z might be helpful. Powerpoint allows you to save the slide show including narration as a video clip, which you can upload to YouTube and create a URL for sharing.
- The list of the awardees will be posted at the conference website by May 31, 2023. The awardees will be notified by individual emails as well.
- Each of the awardees will receive an award certificate and will be listed in the official conference program.
- The awardees who actually attend the conference will receive a complimentary banquet ticket, and a trophy during a ceremonial event.